DVSA releases COVID-19 guidance for HGV Drivers

DVSA releases COVID-19 guidance for HGV Drivers

DVSA has urged HGV drivers to check requirements before travel, after several European countries have now introduced mandatory COVID-19 testing.

From 00.01am on Tuesday 19 January, all hauliers travelling from the UK to the Netherlands by ferry will be required to show evidence of a negative lateral flow test. The test must be obtained within 24 hours of boarding a service departing for a Dutch port.

Getting a COVID-19 test

Drivers will be able to get a free test, as well as information on getting border ready, at one of the DVSA’s 35 information and advice sites across the country.

An authorised coronavirus test can also be obtained from a private testing facility or your own organisation may have its own arrangements.

Interim testing facilities have been set up at the Hull Port and Humberside Airport to provide additional services for hauliers bound for Hull, Immingham and Killingholme ports. Be sure to get tested before arrival at the port to avoid delays.

Inland Border Facilities

Inland border facilities (IBFs) are UK government sites where customs and document checks can take place away from port locations.

HGV drivers will only need to attend an IBF if travelling in and out of the UK via the Port of Dover, Eurotunnel or Holyhead and for certain goods movements or documentation.

To check whether you need to visit an IBF, visit GOV.UK. An IBF will not be needed for those who have a Green Kent Access Permit.

Delays at Waterbrook IBF

There are currently long waiting times at Ashford Waterbrook IBF. Drivers are advised to use alternative sites at Ebbsfleet, North Weald (Essex), Birmingham Airport and Warrington to avoid delays. Find the closest IBF and book a space.

Driving to Kent

An HGV driver heading to Kent must have:

  • A negative COVID-19 test for you and your crew up to 72 hours before crossing the border into France
  • A Kent Access Permit (KAP). Each permit is valid for 24 hours.

For more information, visit GOV.UK.

Related posts